Thursday, June 26, 2008

Update on Feeding

We went to the lactation consultant again today and spoke with Andrea (the original one that we had seen in the hospital and every week after). Zachariah has gained 8 ounces since Tuesday afternoon (now he's 8lbs 9.5oz) which is really too much even though he’s playing catch up with his weight. What surprised me was that the lactation consultant (LC) I spoke to on Tuesday is supposedly the most conservative and she wanted formula. When I went today Andrea told me that since he had gained the last time she had seen him that as long as the pediatrician was okay she wasn't going to push the formula, but more ways to get and keep my supply up. It seems that we've just had set back after set back in our breastfeeding relationship!

THE PLAN: After talking to Andrea we are going to start giving 1 ounce formula after he feeds off the breast. On the occasions where due to time I can’t breastfeed him, I’ll give him 2 ounces formula. During the night, I’ll pump (going to try every 3 hours – key word TRY) and then feed him on demand (what I’ve been doing). Since he’s waking every 4-5 with breast milk anyways and not sleeping longer than 6 with breast milk and formula she said that would be fine. I’m going to start taking a natural supplement to get my milk supply up and if that doesn’t work have my doctor give me a prescription to up my milk supply.

We also talked with one of the pediatricians in the practice he goes to and she said that 8 ounces in 2 days is too much as well. I told her the plan that Andrea and I came up with and she said that it sounded fine. She want us to call if a dramatic drop happens, but as long as he is gaining she's fine. We have our 2 month appointment on July 7th in mid-morning. We're going back to the LC's sometime next week for a personal weight check (I want to see how he's doing). We'll keep everyone updated!

No comments: